Simplicity pattern 8545
Wonder clips (optional)
1 14" Zipper
1 22" Zipper
- Cut out the sewing pattern according to your measurements.
- Using a 2.5 stitch length stay-stitch the neck edge of piece 1 for the slip dress.
- Pin and stitch darts in piece 1 using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Overlock the edges of piece 2, or use a zig-zag stitch on your standard machine.
- Following the pattern stitch the back pieces below the notch using a 2.5 stitch length. Leave room for a 14" zipper.
- Pin the front and back slip pieces together.
- Overlock or straight stitch sides of the slip dress.
- To form the shoulder straps take piece 3 and pin with right sides together.
- Stitch using a 2.5 stitch and turn right side out using a loop turner. Baste straps to the top point corners of the dress.
- Pin and baste the zipper to the back of the slip dress making sure to match the seams.
- Use an invisible zipper foot stitch zipper to dress using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Apply interfacing to dress-facing pieces 4 & 5. Fuse together using a hot iron.
- With right sides together pin pieces 5/4 and stitch with a 2.5 stitch length.
- Use a hot iron to press open the seams of the facing.
- To finish the edge of the facing hem or overlock edge.
- Pin facing to the top of dress right sides together.
- Stitch facing to dress using a 2.5 stitch length. leave a small opening to insert straps and stitch.
- Using a 2.5 stitch length understitch facing.
- Overlock and hem the bottom edge of the slip dress.
- Stitch darts in overdress front same as for slip dress using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Stitch front and back pieces together at shoulders and sides using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Trim close to the stitching to ensure neatness.
- With right sides together pin edges of piece 9 to form sleeves.
- Stitch sleeves together using a 2.5 stitch length.
- To form sleeve binding fold piece 13 together and stitch using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Fold over 3/8" of the sleeve binding and pin to the sleeves. Stitch using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Fold over the pressed edge of sleeve binding encasing raw edges.
- Pin sleeves to bodice make sure to match notches and seams.
- Stitch sleeves to the bodice using a 2.5 stitch length.
- For the skirt pin front and back pieces a the sides, and pin the center back seams leaving a 12" opening for the zipper.
- Stitch skirt pieces together using a 2.5 stitch length.
- To gather the skirt set your stitch length to 5.0 and sew 2 channels of stitching and gently pull the threads to form gathers.
- With the right sides together pin the bodice and skirt together matching seams and notches.
- For the neck binding fold over a half inch and press the binding fold. Stitch the binding using a 2.5 stitch length to the top neck edge.
- Fold over neck binding encasing raw edge and stitch using a 2.5 stitch length.
- Following the same method as the slip dress pin and baste zipper into overdress. Stitch using a zipper foot and a 2.5 stitch length.
- To finish the bottom of the sheer dress use pinking shears or hem using your preferred method of hemming sheer fabrics.